Friday, January 22, 2010

Mom Cooking

Mom Loves Cooking; I Love Baking
By Siew Wen Chua



Mom Cooking

Cooking is a spontaneous cooking nature while baking is more to precision cooking or engineering cooking. This is a 40th year old lady, my mom philosophy. My mom, housewife for twenty five years always enjoy cooking but not baking. To her, cooking is an easy and spontaneous process. As long as there are raw ingredients ready, she can cook. Cooking is straightforward, the methods involve, basically throw everything in the skillet, add some salt, sugar to enhance the taste and fry for sometimes, it is ready. So she gets pleasure from cooking and doing it for couple of years.


Mom Cooking
My mom cooking is very unique. She can cook well, can cook so many dishes but she can’t write out any recipes. Expert in cooking, but can’t teach! Why this happened? Because she had her own feast of recipes, she doesn’t cook based on measurement. She cooks freely and spontaneously. She will cook according to her taste; add in the salt, sugar or any flavour enhancement material based on her own measurement. So, she will not know how to explain her cooking to the others. She can tell you roughly what will be need in her cooking but not exactly what she uses. Because when she found out that the dish is not tasty enough, she will add in something that she feels like. So there is no standard in her world of cooking.

Before I left home to study, I learn to cook few dishes from her. It is a hand on teaching, but due do all the estimation method she use I can’t cook without her hand on coaching. There is no standard measurement in all the raw materials or ingredients use. This make me headache as I am someone who is rarely walk into the kitchen since young. End up, I learning nothing! But still, my mom cooking is the best cooking.

Leaving home from study made me miss home cook dishes so much. I started to search for recipes and learn to cook on my own. In my cooking world, I need accurate measurement on the ingredients I used. I realize that I can cook if I have clear step by step instructions and accurate measurement of the ingredients. I can’t cook with the estimation method my mom applies. With the step by step clear and direct instructions, then only I can cook!



Mom Cooking
I am dessert lover, I love cake and pudding so much. One day I come across a home made cheese cake recipe in newspaper. I try it out. It is cool. Simple, easy and taste delicious. I share this with my mom, she feel so excited for me. Ask me to bake one for her to try. My mom never enjoys baking cake or pudding because she hates those precision in cake making principle. Step by step instructions need to be follow and no any single step need can be miss out.

My mom hates what I love. So she enjoys cooking while I enjoy baking. My mom hates to follow step by step instructions while I can’t miss the step by step instructions. So I enjoy baking more than cooking. I realize that cooking and baking reflect someone character. I am an engineering background student, in engineering everything must be precise, accurate. So I apply the same principle in baking. So it is comfortable for me to just follow the technique, trouble-free and simple.

No comments: